Take action! Share with your residents who may be affected if Congress eliminates the medical expenses deduction in their tax reform policy.
The below action alert from LeadingAge (national) contains information about how to contact your Senators and Representative.
Don’t Let Congress Take Away the Medical Expense Deduction
Congress is developing major tax reform. While few details have been released, one of the changes being considered is elimination of the deduction for medical expenses. Losing this important deduction would hurt many older adults. Elders living in some life plan communities deduct a portion of their fees as pre-paid medical expenses in case they need nursing home care. They would lose this important deduction—as would many older adults living in other care settings. Others with high medical bills would be similarly affected.
This radical proposal would disproportionately affect older adults, many of whom have higher than average medical costs.
Congress needs to hear from you today. Tell your lawmakers to protect the medical expense deduction. Tell them older adults need this important deduction. Tell them protecting it is the right thing to do.
How You Can Help
- Call your lawmakers TODAY at 844-802-8508. We’ve set up this toll-free number to connect you directly to their offices.
- Email your lawmakers.
- Share this information with the residents in your community and suggest that they call as well. The proposed changes will directly impact them.
- Forward this action alert to your network.
Steps for Making a Call
- Dial this toll-free number 844-802-8508.
- Feel free to use the sample script below when you talk to the staff person who answers the phone.
- After talking with the staff person, do not hang up. Allow the staff person to hang up, and the automated system will then connect you to your other senator.
My name is _ and I am a constituent. I urge the Senator/Representative to preserve the tax deduction for medical expenses when drafting tax reform legislation.
This deduction is important to many seniors and other Americans with high medical expenses. Losing this deduction would hurt many seniors and their families.
Please ask the US Senator/Representative to stand up for older adults and protect this crucial deduction.
If you have any questions or concerns about this message or about CHC, please contact Anne Henry at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-790-3949.